See, I have taught you decrees and laws as the LORD my God commanded me, so that you may follow them in the land you are entering to take possession of it. Observe them carefully, for this will show your wisdom and understanding to the nations, who will hear about all these decrees and say, "Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people." What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the LORD our God is near us whenever we pray to him? And what other nation is so great as to have such righteous decrees and laws as this body of laws I am setting before you today?
Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them. Remember the day you stood before the LORD your God at Horeb, when he said to me, "Assemble the people before me to hear my words so that they may learn to revere me as long as they live in the land and may teach them to their children." – Deuteronomy 4:5-10
It’s true, we seem to remember things we should forget, and forget things we should remember. Powerful and effective prayer is reliant upon remembering some important things. Remember that God has revealed Himself in the decrees and laws He gave Moses. These revelations were and are for the purpose that His people might know Him, and be set apart as His holy people, through the practice of those things that please and honor His holy nature. They are not just Old Testament “stuff” that the New has made obsolete. All of these laws and decrees still instruct how to live in harmony with the great God of the universe and fulfill His purpose for our lives. Remember – have no other gods before Him! Remember – don’t worship anything you create! Remember – His name is holy, don’t take in vain! Remember – the Sabbath, to keep it holy! Remember – honor your parents, and don’t murder, commit adultery, steal, lie or covet!
Know that God hears the prayers of His people. As God’s people today, we – like the Israelites – need to remember and carefully observe the things that honor and please the LORD! Remember that His laws and decrees are not Him, but are a reflection of His holy nature. He does not receive prayers that forget who He is, from people that choose to ignore what He says! But, He reveals His eagerness to be near His people whenever they pray to Him. He still longs to fulfill His holy purposes in a holy people who will remember that: He is God alone! He is Good, Righteous, Just, Merciful, Kind, Faithful, True, Loving, Holy…. All the time! He’s eager to give wisdom and understanding to the people that will remember to revere Him. He’s honored and He honors us when we remember to instruct our children and grandchildren in His Holy Word. So, REMEMBER! Psalm 103:1-5 – Praise the LORD, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits– who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.”
- Praise God for giving us a revelation of His Holy Nature and the laws that He adheres to.
- Join our 6:00pm Thursday night prayer team (in prayer if not in person).
- Invite God to remind you continually of the things that are important to Him so that you may adjust your life to be in harmony with the laws of His holy nature.
- Pray for the Good News families of the week: Jon & Rachel Perryman (Kaitlyn), Jeff & Melanie Porcelli (Amalia), Jim & Dina Priester (A.J., Allison, Sammy)
- Remember God’s Word, meditate on His Laws & precepts, ask God to write them on your heart.
- Remember the benefits of living in harmony with God. Thank Him for those blessings!
- Join in with our Sunday prayer services to pray for God’s presence and blessing.
- Pray that others will see the evidence of your love for God as you obey and put your trust in Him.
- Attend “In Touch” Prayer meeting at GNCC at 10:30am or join in prayer at that time.
- Pray that our church will remember the holiness of God and faithfully put His Word into practice.
- Pray that we all will keep our prayer lives up to date and rid our lives of anything that will cause a problem in our relationship with Christ.