Luke 1:39-45 – At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea, where she entered Zechariah's home and greeted Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. In a loud voice she exclaimed: "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!"
Although we she is not to be worshiped (nor is anyone but God), Mary is rightly honored as a hero of faith. She BELIEVED that what the Lord said to her would turn out exactly as He declared, and she submitted herself fully to God’s will. Elizabeth was aware that something extraordinarily special was taking place in Mary because, as soon as Mary greeted her, the baby Elizabeth was carrying leaped for joy inside of her. Elizabeth was fully convinced that her unborn baby had perceived God’s blessing upon Mary and the child she was to bear. Believing God has great rewards! One of Jesus’ first teachings declared, “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.” (Matthew 5:8). Mary possessed such a heart and received the reward that is promised. She saw God – in the flesh!
Purity and believing God seem to go hand in hand. Titus 1:15,16 says, “To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted. They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good.” Believing and doing the right thing, in the right way, at the right time, for the right reason also go hand in hand, as in Hebrews 10:38 – “‘But my righteous one will live by faith. And if he shrinks back, I will not be pleased with him.’ But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved.” Believing God has great reward! Hebrews 11:5,6 validates this truth – “By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”
Thomas struggled with believing until Jesus appeared and invited him to personally examine the evidence of His resurrection. Seeing Jesus with his own eyes moved him to believe. “Then Jesus told him, ‘Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those (you and me) who have not seen and yet have believed.’” (John 20:29). Believing God has great reward! John’s Gospel further records: “Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” (John 20:30,31). Believing the Lord has great reward! Blessed is she/he who has believed that what the Lord has said to her/him will be accomplished!
- Meet together with at least 1 or 2 other believers to enter the Throne Room of Grace.
- Join our 6:00pm Thursday night prayer team.
- Give thanks for the gift of faith that empowers us to trust in the God who rewards belief.
- Pray for the Good News families of the week: Greg Conibear, Juan & Jennifer Davila (Arianna, Angelina, Gabriella), Jim & Carol DeYaeger, Stephanie DeYaeger
- Praise God for His faithfulness to fulfill His Word and keep His promises!
- Thank God for the heroes and heroines of faith (like Mary) who believed that God would do exactly what He promised!
- Honor God for His promised blessings and take Him at His Word.
- Attend “In Touch” Prayer meeting at GNCC at 10:30am or join in prayer at that time.
- Praise God that He blesses those who believe He exists and that He rewards true faith!
- Pray that you may be like Mary as you believe that God will do exactly what He said He would.
Prayer Challenge: Determine to take God at His Word. Remember that God’s Word is True. Ask Him to sanctify you through His Truth. Pray that you may have faith like Mary to believe that what the Lord has said in His Word will surely be accomplished.