Psalm 119:97-104 – Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me. I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes. I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts. I have kept my feet from every evil path so that I might obey your word. I have not departed from your laws, for you yourself have taught me. How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path.
Where do you turn to find the greatest wisdom? Where would you look for the keenest insight? Where can you find the deepest understanding? There are many schools of wisdom and institutions of higher learning that profess to be unmatched in their courses of instruction and knowledge. When they have done their best with their best students, all of their arrogance is no match for the Word of God! How many University Professors and Scholars have penned best sellers, believing that they are promoting the greatest enlightenment in the universe on their topic of expertise? How wise and insightful are today’s Masters of Social Science, who believe they have the superior scientific ability and wisdom to codify a social order of laws and ordinances that will best enable humans to thrive?
Truth is, these “wise” teachers of humanism have been around for ages. They were competing with the Word of God way back in the days of our Psalmist – some 1000 years before Christ! In fact, he must have sat under the influence and instruction of some of them, but his insight and understanding was greater than all of theirs, for he meditated on God’s statutes. How many of them still have publications that exist today (and as best sellers too)? Our Psalmist has captured timeless truth and understanding that will endure long after this old world passes away!
This is why our writer is so in love with the Word of God – it makes him wiser than his enemies, gives him more insight and understanding than his teachers and elders, keeps his feet from evil paths, and a disdain for every wrong path. He has discovered that God’s Eternal Word is sweeter than honey in his mouth and that makes his path clear and all other philosophies, principles and truth claims are sour, bitter and abhorrent to him. How about you? Have you discovered unmatched wisdom, insight and understanding in the Word of God? Do you love His law and meditate on it all day long? Is God’s Word sweeter than honey in your mouth? Oh, that this may be true for every believer!
- Meet together with at least 1 or 2 other believers to enter the Throne Room of Grace.
- Join our 6:00pm Thursday night prayer team.
- Thank God for the unmatched wisdom, insight and understanding found in His Word.
- Pray for the Good News families of the week: Ben & Jen Martin (Emma, Grace, Benjie, Callie), Barr & Sharon Miesch, Laura Mohr (Ashley).
- Pray for God’s kingdom to come and His will to be done on earth as it is in heaven.
- Ask God to help you help you understand the wisdom of His Word that is superior to the insight and understanding of all humanist philosophy and teaching.
- Join in with our Sunday prayer services to pray for God’s presence and blessing.
- Pray for a heart that loves to meditate on and discover the eternal truths and precepts of God’s Word. Ask God to use His Word to give you understanding and guide your feet away from every wrong path and into paths of righteousness.
- Attend “In Touch” Prayer meeting at GNCC at 10:30am or join in prayer at that time.
- Give thanks that God’s Word gives us the best insight into the things that will last forever, and that it contains everything we need for life and godliness.
- Pray that God will give you such a love for His Word that it will become contagious.
Prayer Challenge: Pray that God will grant every believer: a passionate devotion to His Word, a humble recognition that we have much room for growth and improvement, His corrective discipline (that may be painful but produces good fruit), and a steadfast courage with strength to endure the arrogance, hostility, ridicule and slander of those who disregard the beauty and authority of God’s Word.