Psalm 119:89-95 – Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens. Your faithfulness continues through all generations; you established the earth, and it endures. Your laws endure to this day, for all things serve you. If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction. I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have preserved my life. Save me, for I am yours; I have sought out your precepts. The wicked are waiting to destroy me, but I will ponder your statutes.
Have you ever pondered and considered that the heavens declare the glory of God? Why do the sun, moon and stars stay in their places and provide light to the earth both day and night? Because God told them to! Have you ever pondered and considered that this globe we live on also declares the glory of God? Why do seedtime and harvest, summer and winter, cold and heat, night and day never cease? Because that’s God’s word! Why can we be assured that the earth will never face another worldwide flood? Because that’s God’s Word!
This marks the halfway point in the Psalm, and the writer’s theme hasn’t changed. He’s still absolutely enthralled with the Word of God. In the beginning, God spoke the word and all things were created. By the laws of His nature (from which He spoke all things into being) all things are held together and continue to exist. God’s sovereign word governs and maintains all creation. His word is eternal, it stands firm in the heavens, and it doesn’t change from generation to generation. This old world was established by His word and it still endures as an example of His eternal Word. God’s laws have remained the same to this day and the entire universe is subjected to those laws; the sun, moon and stars and all the planets continue in their orbits and places just as God’s word instructed them. They exist to serve God’s will and His word that spoke them into being. They do not rebel against that word.
The Psalmist has pondered these things and concluded that God’s laws preserve life and order. Having marveled at that reality, he has come to delight himself in the nature of God. Everywhere he looks he sees God’s word validated. There is no other law so holy and awesome, no other word so perfect and true. He realizes that he would have perished had it not been for God’s laws and precepts. The humble and repentant sinner can find salvation in God’s Word and the saint can find inspiration to live by His promises. Even though there are mockers, scoffers, unbelievers, doubters and evildoers who lie in wait to destroy faith in God, His statutes will endure. And so, our writer will continue to ponder them. How about you?
- Meet together with at least 1 or 2 other believers to enter the Throne Room of Grace.
- Join our 6:00pm Thursday night prayer team.
- Thank God for the eternal nature of His Word. Praise Him for His faithfulness through all generations.
- Pray for the Good News families of the week: Christina Greisch (Derek, Alisha), Ryan Hackett, Matt & Becky Hakes (Stevie, Lydia).
- Pray for God’s kingdom to come and His will to be done on earth as it is in heaven.
- Ask God to help you recognize His laws at work in the heavens and on the earth.
- Join in with our Sunday prayer services to pray for God’s presence and blessing.
- Pray for a heart that delights in God’s nature and His laws.
- Attend “In Touch” Prayer meeting at GNCC at 10:30am or join in prayer at that time.
- Give thanks that God’s laws, precepts, statutes and promises are unchanging and trustworthy for all eternity.
- Pray that God will give you such a love for His Word that it will become contagious.
Prayer Challenge: Pray that God will grant every believer: a passionate devotion to His Word, a humble recognition that we have much room for growth and improvement, His corrective discipline (that may be painful but produces good fruit), and a steadfast courage with strength to endure the arrogance, hostility, ridicule and slander of those who disregard the beauty and authority of God’s Word.