Psalm 119:33-40 – Teach me, O LORD, to follow your decrees; then I will keep them to the end. Give me understanding, and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart. Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight. Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain. Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word. Fulfill your promise to your servant, so that you may be feared. Take away the disgrace I dread, for your laws are good. How I long for your precepts! Preserve my life in your righteousness.
We were created with a need for instruction. Unless we are TAUGHT, we rarely do the right thing, in the right way, at the right time, for the right reason. The Psalmist recognizes this need as he prays for the Lord to teach him to follow what He has decreed. If the Lord will teach him, then he will be able to APPLY these principles his entire life. Good instruction goes beyond just enabling someone to apply what is taught, it includes UNDERSTANDING. We do better at application when we understand the reasons and values behind it. When we understand why God has given certain laws, and we see the value behind them, then we can put our heart into keeping them – not just dutifully obey them! Even when we obtain understanding we have the need for DIRECTION. There are a lot of paths beckoning, “This is the way!” But the end of those paths is destruction. The Psalmist desires GUIDANCE in paths of righteousness that have been forged by God’s commands, for true delight may be found there.
Godly instruction and understanding transforms the heart and will TURN US from greed and self-serving to desiring godliness and goodness. When we have been so instructed in things of real value, we will more readily recognize what is worthless. Yet, sometimes, WORTHLESS THINGS can be presented in seductive, attractive, eye-catching and captivating ways – things that consume our time, energy and money in worthless wasted ways! The Psalmist’s prayer is that God would turn his eyes away from things that are a worthless waste of precious life. God’s Word teaches how to avoid those pitfalls. The Psalmist then prays for the BENEFITS to be fulfilled that God has promised to those who keep His Word, so that others will know He is the True God! This prayer recognizes there will be those who will mock and scorn such faith in God’s Word that gladly applies His commands and promises. He knows that God’s faithfulness has the power to remove the disgrace that is imposed on him by people who oppose God’s laws. His prayer for PRESERVATION and validation is likened to Jesus teaching us to pray for God’s Kingdom to come and His will to be done on earth as it is in heaven. That will be the grand FULFILLMENT and vindication of faith in God’s Word!
- Meet together with at least 1 or 2 other believers to enter the Throne Room of Grace.
- Join our 6:00pm Thursday night prayer team.
- Give thanks for the gift of God’s Instruction through His Word.
- Pray for the Good News families of the week: Bob & Alison St.James (Matt, Kelly, Nate), Steve & Allison Worrall, Alberto & Kasandra Aneses (Alberto Jr.).
- Ask God to help you understand the purpose and meaning behind His laws and commands.
- Ask God to help you understand His laws and commands in the light of their purpose.
- Join in with our Sunday prayer services to pray for God’s presence and blessing.
- Pray for guidance in paths of righteousness amidst the many voices calling for you to go their way.
- Attend “In Touch” Prayer meeting at GNCC at 10:30am or join in prayer at that time.
- Give thanks for God’s faithful guidance, instruction, preservation and enlightenment.
- Pray for preservation and validation of your faith in God’s commands and promises that will convince unbelievers that He is truly God.
Prayer Challenge: Pray that God will grant every believer: a passionate devotion to His Word, a humble recognition that we have much room for growth and improvement, His corrective discipline – that may be painful but produces good fruit, a steadfast courage and strength to endure the arrogance, hostility, ridicule and slander of those who disregard the beauty and authority of God’s Word.