Philippians 1:3-11 – I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.
And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ–to the glory and praise of God.
Philippian Christians held a special place in Paul’s heart because they were faithful partners in the gospel. From the time they had been introduced to the truths of Christ they had received and supported Paul’s ministry. They demonstrated eager support of and receptivity to Paul’s preaching and teaching, making his ministry among them a joy and not a burden. Their attitude and partnership brought him great joy and gratitude every time he thought of them and prayed for them. I’m sure it caused him to say, “That’s what partnership should be like!” It gave Paul confidence that God had begun a really good work in them. Their receptivity and support gave him assurance that God would continue to perfect that work in them until it would be completed at the day of Christ Jesus.
Even when Paul was imprisoned, these believers kept supporting and sharing in Paul’s ministry by sending Epaphroditus with financial gifts. They remained loyal and united with him even through his persecution and social degradation. When society had rejected him and others had forsaken him, they remained faithful and eager supporters. “When the going gets tough, true partners are revealed!” So too, many followed Jesus at the height of His popularity and fame, but everyone had scattered and fallen away by the time He was arrested, tried and crucified! It is those who truly believe in you and your work, that hold on as partners when all others may reject you and fall away. The Philippians were these kind of partners. And so, Paul could say, “It’s right for me to feel this way about all of you…” They were TRUE PARTNERS and he held deep affection and longing for their continual fellowship. This is his prayer for them and my prayer for you: may your love overflow in what you know and understand, so you may be discerning of what is best, so you may be pure and blameless, and so you may abundantly produce the fruit of doing what is right in Christ’s eyes and bring praise and glory to God!
If you are reading this, I consider you one of my faithful partners in the gospel. I thank God for you and always pray with joy because of your partnership!
- Meet together with at least 1 or 2 other believers to enter the Throne Room of Grace.
- Join our 6:00pm Thursday night prayer team.
- Give thanks for the gift of life, the gift of the gospel, and the gift of partnership in the Good News.
- Pray for the Good News families of the week: Juan & Jennifer Davila (Arianna, Angelina, Gabriella), Katelyn DeRoller (Fiance – Walt Sanders) Jim & Carol DeYaeger (Stephanie)
- Ask God to enrich your life as a partner in the Gospel.
- Pray especially for those who work hard at evangelizing and spreading the truths of Christ.
- Join in with our Sunday prayer services to pray for God’s presence and blessing.
- Pray for those who are being persecuted for preaching and teaching the Good News of Jesus.
- Attend “In Touch” Prayer meeting at GNCC at 10:30am or join in prayer at that time.
- Pray that we all may have the attitude of the Philippian believers when it comes to supporting the cause of Christ and those who represent Him.
- Ask God to help you remain faithful in your receptivity and support of those who labor in the Gospel – that you will help make their work a joy and not a burden!
Prayer Challenge: Thank God for the people who eagerly love and support the ministry of the Gospel. Pray that God will raise up many more who will be just as eager to invest themselves in the same cause by faithfully standing with and prayerfully supporting those who are on the front lines for Christ!