Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.
Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech. He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil." – 1 Peter 3:7-12
Okay Men, do you sometimes feel as if there’s no use in praying because those prayers just don’t seem to be getting through? This might be a good time for a check up on the way you treat your wife? Verse 7 implies that there are things that will hinder our prayers. Peter teaches that husbands who are inconsiderate toward their wives will find roadblocks in their prayers. If you fail to treat your wife as a sacred and precious partner who will be sharing in the inheritance of God’s gracious gift of life, then your prayers will be hindered!
Now, how about everyone else? Do you want to be sure that your prayers gain the attention of the Lord too? This might be a good time to check your lifestyle. Are you living harmoniously with the family and community the Lord has placed you in? If not, it could be a roadblock in your prayer life. Many lonely miserable vagabonds are created from stubborn unwillingness to harmonize! Do you rejoice with those that rejoice and weep with those that weep? Do you love others like they’re family? Are you defeating arrogance and pride with compassion and humility? If not, this will hinder the effectiveness of your prayers. Are you perpetuating the evil dealt to you by giving it back? Do you react by using the same insulting styles to get back at others who have demeaned and devalued you? Or, are you rising to another level and taking what was meant for harm and turning it into blessing? That’s what you were called to do! And Peter says that this high calling is for the purpose of adding a blessing to your inheritance. God will see these things, they will gain His favor and approval, and He will attend to your prayers. Verse 12 assures us that the prayers of the righteous gain the attention of the Lord. But, those who do evil will gain His unfavorable attention – their prayers will be blocked!
So, how long has it been… since you knealt by your bed and prayed to the Lord up in heaven? How long, since you knew that He would answer you, and would keep you the long night through? How long has it been since you were certain that your prayers went through? If it’s been awhile, go through the checklist, make some adjustments and then get back on your knees and try again.
- Praise God for His attentiveness to the prayers of the righteous.
- Join our 6:00pm Thursday night prayer team (in prayer if not in person).
- Invite God to search your heart and point out anything that may hinder your prayers.
- Pray for the Good News families of the week: Ryan Hackett, Matt & Becky Hakes (Stephen), Ben & Katie Logan (Caleigh Anne)
- Reestablish as sacred and precious, the lives of those God has closely connected you with – spouse, family, neighbors, friends, faith community, etc.
- Invite God to teach, train and empower you to live above the evil and insulting lifestyles of others who do not have effective prayer lives.
- Join in with our Sunday prayer services to pray for God’s presence and blessing.
- Pray that others will see the evidence of God’s attention to your prayers and that they will hunger for the same influence with God.
- Attend “In Touch” Prayer meeting at GNCC at 10:30am or join in prayer at that time.
- Pray that our church will be a harmonious fellowship that loves one another deeply and reflects to others that we are truly a part of the family of God.
- Pray that we all will keep our prayer lives up to date and rid our lives of anything that hinders.