Why Are We Here?
We must remind ourselves that purpose is never determined by the created, always by the Creator!
A large percentage of people will drift through life without ever once thinking about purpose.
- Most live by feeling – do what feels good!
- Many live by following the crowd around them – watch and do what others do.
What we believe about this question dramatically affects the way we view and live our lives.
Therefore, ultimately it must be about faith, not about feeling.
WHY AM I HERE?
I’d like to approach this question from the Apostle Paul’s perspective. In a nutshell, he would say:
TO KNOW CHRIST, AND TO MAKE HIM KNOWN!
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. – Philippians 1:21
I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead. – Philippians 3:10
What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ – the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. – Philippians 3:8,9
Paul gives us much to think about in his letter to the Church at Colosse.
Open your Bibles and follow along as we look at what he says regarding our purpose.
Verses 1-8 – Faith, Hope, Love
- Thankful for faithful believers that demonstrate faith, hope and love.
- Faith in Christ.
- Love for the community of faith.
- Hope of eternal life that comes from the Gospel that produces the same fruit of faith, hope and love all over the world.
Verse 9 – Knowing God’s Will
- That’s why we pray and ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding.
- Our purpose is to discover God’s plan by gaining spiritual wisdom and understanding.
Verses 10-14 – Pleasing God
The reason for our prayer is – that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way…
We please God by:
- bearing fruit in every good work,
- growing in the knowledge of God,
being strengthened with His mighty power so that:
- you may have great endurance and patience
- You may joyfully give thanks to the Father
Verses 13-20 The Supremacy of Christ
God has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
- Jesus Christ Is Lord of Creation!
- Christ is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
- For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him.
PURPOSE COMES FROM CHRIST!
Christ is Supreme in the Church!
Christ Jesus is the reason and purpose for the existence of the church!
Verse 17,18 – He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.
Christ is Supreme
on Earth and in Heaven!
Verses 19,20 – For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.
What is my purpose?
Why am I here?
Revelation 4:11 – "You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being."
Our purpose is to bring glory and honor to the One who created and redeemed us!
TO KNOW CHRIST, AND TO MAKE HIM KNOWN!
WHAT’S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU HEARD TODAY?