Luke 1:1-4 – Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.
Does accuracy in reporting matter? Or, is it only necessary for a reporter to have good looks, a charismatic personality, and superb communication skills? Does the source from which the information was derived have any meaningful significance? Does it matter how the information is interpreted? Do the motives of the reporter make any difference? Historical accounts have been subject to inaccurate reporting, misinformation, misinterpretation and intentional fraudulent representation from as far back as the Garden of Eden, when the Serpent twisted God’s Word to Eve. The devil made it look and sound good, but he had an agenda of deception and destruction. We know the result of his revised version!
Luke was very passionate about truth and accuracy in reporting – especially as it related to the life and ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ. He was keenly aware of how easily things can be twisted and misrepresented if they are reported/recorded by people who oppose truth and righteousness. So, he took pen in hand to “write an orderly account” of those things that were fulfilled by the life and ministry of the Lord Jesus. Like many others had also done, Luke’s work began with “eyewitnesses and servants of the word.” He carefully investigated everything from the beginning – the prophetic scriptures, the events surrounding Christ’s birth, and the people whose lives He touched. No doubt Luke spent time asking questions of the key persons who knew Him best, were there when it happened, and had intimate personal contact with Jesus. I imagine that Mary was one of those key people. Luke was an investigative reporter of the highest order, making sure that his account was accurate and true, but also filled with rich and accurate human interest details that lent credible support to the record concerning Jesus. A thorough reading of Luke’s carefully researched Gospel should lead any sincere person to a knowledge of the truth of who Jesus is and what He has done! Join me as we journey through Luke.
The Holy Bible, is completely trustworthy because it is God-breathed through trustworthy men. (2 Timothy 3:14-17) – “But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
- Meet together with at least 1 or 2 other believers (perhaps your family) to enter the Throne Room of Grace.
- Join our 6:00pm Thursday night prayer team.
- Thank God for those trustworthy reporters/recorders who were faithful vessels through which God breathed the holy Scriptures!
- Pray for the Good News families of the week: Allen Grandin (Jr.), Christina Griesch (Derek, Alisha), Ryan Hackett.
- Praise God that His Word is trustworthy, accurate, dependable and true!
- Thank God that the Scriptures are also USEFUL: for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.
- Pray that you may become thoroughly equipped as you make the Scriptures USEFUL in your life.
- Attend “In Touch” Prayer meeting at GNCC at 10:30am or join in prayer at that time.
- Praise God for making known to you in Scriptures this salvation through faith in Christ Jesus!
- Give thanks that you don’t have to apologize for shoddy reporting or accounting in the Scriptures!
Prayer Challenge: Pray that every believer will become thoroughly equipped for every good work through eager application of Biblical instruction and training in righteousness! Pray that God will inspire you in the high calling of careful investigation and truthful reporting.