I always thank God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. For in him you have been enriched in every way–in all your speaking and in all your knowledge– because our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you. Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. – 1 Corinthians 1:4-7
Yesterday my mom wrote: “It's Dec. 1 already! In the challenge of rushing to get ready for Christmas let's remind ourselves of God's provision in our lives & the lives of our loved ones, & make this a special time of spiritual enrichment, personal renewal & genuine gratitude to Him..”
Cindy sent me on a mission to the toys store yesterday and as I walked though the aisles of toys I found myself saying, “Isn’t it amazing how they can make junk look so good!” (Ask Cindy to tell you how we obtained a far superior gift to the one I went shopping for). Most of the stuff at the store will last no longer than two weeks in a child’s hands and will soon be thrown in the trash. I’m most thankful for gifts that last. My brother Dan reminded me of the Tonka trucks we were given when we were less than 3 years old (you do the math). Our grandchildren still play with those toys. Even more significantly, I’m thankful for each of you who have believed on the Lord Jesus Christ and received the gift of eternal life. The gift of your life and fellowship is a gift I’m thankful for, and one that will last forever!
Paul also reminds his readers that we have been enriched in every way because of this gift of grace from Christ Jesus. He points out especially how rich our vocabulary and understanding of truth has become as a result of faith in Christ. I recently had a dream about a young believer who was speaking to a small group and using some amazingly profound and rich language to deliver his message. I didn’t even know he knew those words or what they meant but they richly communicated the ethereal message he was presenting. (You can look that one up – it was one of the words).
The sum of today’s word can be found in one of the lines to the song “Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus. Look full into His wonderful face; and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.” Beloved, you have already been enriched in every way by the grace given you in Christ Jesus. This world offers nothing but trash in comparison to the gifts He’s given to each of us to put to use as we eagerly look forward to the day of His coming!
- Give thanks to God for His wonderful gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
- Join our 6:00pm Thursday night prayer team (in prayer if not in person).
- Give thanks to God for the rich gifts of words and understanding that come from Him.
- Pray for the Good News families of the week: Juan & Jennifer Davila (Ariana, Angelina, Gabriella), Katelyn DeRoller, Jim & Carol DeYaeger (Stephanie).
- Give thanks to God for the special gifts He has enriched each of us with so that we may serve Him faithfully and effectively.
- Give thanks to God for the gift of spiritual brothers and sisters who share the same gift of grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Join in with our Sunday prayer services to pray for God’s presence and blessing.
- Give thanks to God for revealing Himself to us through Jesus.
- Attend “In Touch” Prayer meeting at GNCC at 10:30am or join in prayer at that time.
- Give thanks to God for the promise of Christ’s return in majesty and power, the day when the world will see Him as He really is – King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Savior, Redeemer, Lamb of God, Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace, Mighty God!
- Pray with anticipation for His kingdom to come and His will to be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Prayer Challenge: Take much time to give thanks to the Lord for the rich gifts He had given. Don’t be duped by the glitter and tinsel, the sales pitches and packages that try to pass themselves off as real rich treasures. You already have the richest of gifts in the Lord Jesus Christ and the fellowship of a community of faith in Him.