"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. – John 17:20-23
Today’s focus is on becoming the PEOPLE of God, united in truth, bound in the love of Christ! In our scripture passage (The High Priestly Prayer of Christ), Jesus has been praying for His disciples to be sanctified through the truth, which is the Word of God. It has been His passion to see that these men are totally immersed in the truth of God, and that they will be faithful, effective ambassadors of that truth, to the world. Jesus now broadens His prayer to include those in the future who will believe in Him as a result of the message of truth proclaimed by His followers. It may be interesting to note that Jesus does not pray for their health, wealth, happiness or prosperity in the world. Jesus prays for unity – that they may be one, just like God the Father and His Son are united. This holy unity will be the result of being in complete harmony and agreement with the Father and the Son. It will be the result of knowing the truth claims of God and experiencing His affirmation and love, as we align our thoughts and actions to demonstrate that we believe Him.
Jesus understood and shared the passion of His Father for PEOPLE! Although each individual soul matters to God tremendously, it is His even greater desire that these individuals be united! No Lone Rangers! His prayer is for all believers to be united in the Truth (Jesus), so that the world may come to believe in the reality of who Jesus is and where He came from. This kind of unity cannot happen apart from really knowing the truth of Christ and embracing every bit of it until He becomes the supreme affection of our souls. And so, Jesus continues praying for “complete” unity! This implies that there should be no divisions among His people. God wants His PEOPLE to be so totally and completely immersed in His truth and His love, that their testimony sends a clear message to our world! That message is: “God loves the world!” He so loves the world that He sent His one and only Son into the world, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life!
- Give thanks for the powerful prayer that Jesus has already prayed for you to be united with Him and with other believers.
- Join our 6:00pm Thursday night prayer team (in prayer if not in person).
- Ask God to teach you the importance of a holy union with Him and with other believers.
- Pray for the Good News families of the week: Alberto & Kasandra Aneses (Alberto Jr.), Mike & Jenna Arilotta (Josiah), Steve Babcock (Maribeth, Zach). Pray also for Anna Diehl.
- Remember to also give thanks for our war veterans.
- Ask God to show you what that unity with the PEOPLE of God should look like.
- Pray for the Truth to so permeate our lives, our homes, our Church, our community, land and nation that all believers in Christ will be united and the world will know God’s love.
- Join in with our Sunday prayer services to pray for God’s presence and blessing.
- Pray for those who will come to know Christ as a result of your message, that they will come into this same unity and fellowship with God and His PEOPLE.
- Attend “In Touch” Prayer meeting at GNCC at 10:30am or join in prayer at that time.
- Pray that our church will be a fellowship where members love God supremely and are deeply united to each other by His love and truth.
- Pray that our church will be a people who are free to be the PEOPLE of God, not merely individuals who are each doing their own independent thing.
Prayer Challenge: Let the passion of Christ for the unity of believers so affect you that your prayers match His.