Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. "Honor your father and mother"–which is the first commandment with a promise– "that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."– Ephesians 6:1-3
Eternal God, our Heavenly Father, once again we honor Your holy Name. All Your ways and all Your commands are good – all the time! Help us to honor You, not only in words but also in our obedience to You and to Your commands. Thank You for giving us the Bible, that lets us see how Your Son honors You in everything. Teach us the same obedience and honor that Jesus has shown to You.
One of Your commands is that we should obey and honor our father and mother. You know how hard this one is because godly parents tend to require things that conflict with my sinful nature, and you know how much I want to do what I want to do when I want to do it. So, thank You for giving me the extra incentive to honor their parenting by giving the promise of enjoying long life on earth.
Lord, I pray that you will give wisdom and guidance to my parents as they train and discipline me in the way I ought to go. May they be able to recognize the uniqueness of my life and identify the anointing You have in store for me. Let their parental guidance support and encourage the plans You have for my life, and may I make their work of parenting a joy and not a burden.
Heavenly Father, grant that I may show my mother and father how much I appreciate their God-given responsibility and authority in my life. May I be always mindful that You have granted them authority and responsibility to train up the next generation, so that we may also take authority and responsibility for the next generation after us. So help my mom and dad to faithfully and effectively fulfill the high calling of parenting, and may I bless them by the ways I obey and honor them, because that’s the right thing to do. Amen!
- Praise God for His goodness and for His holy commands.
- Join our 6:00pm Thursday night prayer team (in prayer if not in person).
- Ask God to teach you how to honor your parents in the same way the Son honors the Father.
- Pray for the Good News families of the week: Ben & Jen Martin (Emma, Grace, Benjie, Callie), Barr & Sherry Miesch, Laura Mohr (Ashley)
- Pray for your parents. Ask God to fill them with wisdom and discernment as they instruct, guide and discipline your life.
- Invite God to teach, train and empower you to live a life of honor and obedience, that will make your parents’ role a joy and not a burden.
- Join in with our Sunday prayer services to pray for God’s presence and blessing.
- Pray that your parents will see the evidence of God’s work in your life, that it may inspire them to be even better parents.
- Attend “In Touch” Prayer meeting at GNCC at 10:30am or join in prayer at that time.
- Pray that our church will be a fellowship where children obey and honor their parents.
- Pray that our church will be a fellowship where mothers and fathers model godly discipline and instruction in their parenting.
Prayer Challenge: Let your light so shine before others that they may recognize the way you honor your father and mother is one of the ways you honor God. Do not buy into the attitudes and philosophies of this world when it comes to how children relate to their parents. Ask God to teach you from His Word and by His Spirit, what this relationship should be like.