Ephesians 22-32 – "Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the Word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated his own body, but feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church – for we are members of his body. For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. This is a profound mystery – but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you must also love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband."
Prayer Focus: Today’s Prayer Focus comes from the pastor’s wife as a model for wives to use when they pray for their husbands. If you have a godly husband (or, men, if you have a godly wife), then bathe your spouse in prayer and with holy gratitude, affection and submission.
Dear Lord, I am so thankful for a husband who bathes me with the Word. A husband who is faithful, who is strong in character and searches the scriptures for his wisdom. I am thankful for a husband who takes care of himself physically, mentally, and spiritually, and has a heart of joy. I'm thankful for a husband who tenderly loves and nurtures our grandchildren, and imparts your guidance to our grown sons and daughters. Thank you for his love for the flock, and for singling me out as his precious and sacred one to be kept secure in his arms and close to his heart. I pray for unique blessings on him today, and for our walk together with you to be deeper, stronger and more beautiful than ever before. God bless him today and always.
- Praise God for the gift of marriage and family and the rich potential for fellowship and love in these unions.
- Join our 6:00pm Thursday night prayer team (in prayer if not in person).
- Thank God for your spouse and family. Give thanks especially for the ways they are sacred and precious in your sight.
- Pray for the Good News families of the week: Matt & Megan George (?), Pete & Laurel George (Annabeth, Luke), Pastor Dave & Cindy George.
- Pray for the men of our church and community to be men of the Word, who bathe their wives with it and lead their households by it.
- Pray for the women of our church and community to be women of the Word, who gladly receive its discipline and guidance and promote it in their homes and neighborhoods.
- Ask God to strengthen Christian marriages in a world that is hell bent on destroying them. Pray that husbands and wives will keep their first love alive and fresh as they cherish one another.
- Pray for those marriages that are in trouble, that they might have a revival of what is sacred and precious. Pray that they would come to a fresh reality of God’s purpose and plan for marriage.
- Ask God to help you remember that marriage is holy because its creation is like unto the eternal holy union and fellowship of Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and like unto the relationship of Christ and His Church. May the mystery and wonder of such unity and love captivate our hearts and secure our relationships with Him and each other.
Faith Challenge: Find ways to do the Lord’s work and express what you really believe (serve in a weekly ministry, a ministry project, and spontaneous opportunities for ministry). Share your testimony with someone this week. Invite them to Sunday School, Worship, The Truth Project or Power Team!