Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade–kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith–of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire–may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls. – 1 Peter 1:3-9
Prayer Focus: It’s not too difficult for the child of God to find reasons to sing His praises! Peter reminds us of several good reasons to honor and praise our Heavenly Father. Praise Him for His mercy! Praise Him for a “living hope!” Praise Him for the resurrection of Christ Jesus! Praise Him for a secure inheritance “that can never perish, spoil or fade!” Praise Him for His power that will guard and protect us until that great day when there will be no more atheists, skeptics, doubters or unbelievers – when He makes His grand appearance!
Peter recognizes that this is what keeps us rejoicing, even in the midst of suffering and grief and all kinds of trials. Here, he answers part of the question, Why do God’s people suffer? It is so that our precious treasure of faith may be validated as authentic! This authentic faith will be celebrated when our Lord Jesus Christ is plainly revealed to a generally disbelieving world.
The basis for that celebration will be the evidence of things not seen and the substance of things hoped for! Although you’ve never seen Him, you have loved and trusted Him. You have obeyed His Word! Your obedience stemming from faith, hope and love will be celebrated when you finally see Him face to face.
There are also present benefits of this faith. Even now, though we can’t see Him, we believe in Him and that belief produces a joy that can’t be fully expressed. Why? Because we have the knowledge and assurance that our faith has brought salvation to our soul! Praise to our Heavenly Father!
- Praise God for His mercy that gives hope worth living for.
- Pray for His Kingdom to come and His will to be done on earth as it is in heaven.
- Join our 6:00pm Thursday night prayer team (in prayer if not in person).
- Praise God for an eternally solid inheritance that can never be diminished.
- Pray for the Good News families of the week: John & Christine Fargo (Giovanni, Isabelle), Dave & Eileen Fetzner, Dave & Sarah George (Nathanael, Rachael)
- Other requests: Chile – Jose & Priscilla (Giselda, Beatriz), India – Rev. P Johnpaul & Sudha (Carys, Joshua John, Cheryl, Glory) and (orphans, widows, lepers)
- Confess the ways that you bemoaned your suffering so that you short-change His refining process in your life.
- Ask God to give you a pure and genuine faith that will be contagious.
- Join in with our Sunday prayer services to pray for God’s presence and blessing.
- Pray that others will see God at work in you and will celebrate the evidence of faith.
- Attend “In Touch” Prayer meeting at GNCC at 10:30am or join in prayer at that time.
- Pray that our church will be filled with the inexpressible joy that comes from knowing the salvation of our souls is secured in Christ.
- Pray that this same salvation and joy will spread to many others around us.
Prayer Challenge: Join with our Thursday night prayer team in desiring victorious joyful living for believers and salvation for unbeliever